Thursday 31 March 2016

Clasps/ Rookie mistakes - laptop sleeve

So originally, I wasn't going to do this as its own post. I was going to edit the sewing laptop sleeve (here) and just be all happy that I had finished.

That was until I realised what a rookie mistake I had made.

So picking off from where I left at the end of the last one. I had my "finished" sleeve and I headed off to my friendly- locally owned craft store. (I could've gone to my kinda friendly craft mega store, but those employees aren't quite as invested as the ones in friendly local owned. And given I didn't know what I wanted, I needed someone invested in craft.)


It was suggested that I use a magnetic clasp. Like this!

It ended up being $2.50. Taking my total spent on this sleeve $12.50. Not bad given the ones I was looking at in the shops were $30.


This is where the rookie mistake came in. I went to attach my clasp (my friendly craft supplier said that I just pushed it through the fabric and put the securer on the other side. Easy.) I went to do it. And realised I had sewed up the other side. So I couldn't get into attach it. (Major rookie) 

So I had to cut the side of my hard sewn seam, (I didn't need to go all the way, just enough to get my hand in).
I attached my magnetic clasp (which was surprisingly easy) and then I sewed back up the hole that I cut up.




















Next I had to put the clasp on the other side, which was easier because I didn't have to cut up what I had already done. I just had to line it up.























And voila! A (finally) finished laptop sleeve!

Some tips:
  • When you start a project, make sure you know how you're going to finish it. Redoing things is annoying, time consuming, and any other adjective you can think of.
  • Start with the flap. When you are attaching the magnetic clasp, start with the flap bit, then you can line up the bottom with the top. If you start with the bottom, then you end up with a clasp that does nothing. Its a rooking mistake (another one, from experience)
  • Dont be afraid to get advice. Whether its from a store owner, a friend, your mother, or even me! Someone elses opinion helps

No comments:

Post a Comment